Tuesday, December 13, 2011

One Life At A Time

Okay so today isn't really a one-word story. It's more like one commentary on one story.
I was reading a local newspaper online when I saw a story that is unfolding in New England. It was about a set of identical, male, twins, one of whom has decided to become a woman. They are currently 14 years old, though the story of Nikki's struggle with her gender has been going on for almost all of her life.
I grew up in a small town and never knew anyone who was very different from my Christian, Western European heritage. I didn't even know anyone, on a personal level, who was Jewish until I was in college. (Yes, I have lead, and in most instances continue to lead a very sheltered life.) But I remember one day looking at a friend's Facebook, she had changed her name to a male name. Now, there are very few of us who don't mess with our Facebook names for various reasons, but it wasn't until much further investigating that I realized that she, my friend whom I had done multiple school activities with, had, (now I'm not quite sure of the terminology on this one, so please, try not to judge the rest of this sentence too harsh) decided to come out as a transgender. She is continuing to develop into a he. I cannot even imagine the intense feelings that he must have gone through not feeling as though he worked in his life as a female. But what struck me today was just how young these twins are and are making these life-altering decisions.
Now after reading the entire article, from first word to last, I understand that it isn't life-altering as it is making life endurable and comfortable for Nikki. But to have that much strength and conviction from such a young age, it just amazes me. To always know who you are and what you want is something that has eluded me for quite some time. But I applaud her, even give her a standing ovation. And an equally supportive standing ovation to her parents and brother. This is a tough road and something that most people, who are so much older than Nikki, will never be able to face never mind travel down it.
Now I have no intention of coming out as something other than my man-loving female self, I'm boring and stereotypical, and like Nikki, I accept that about myself. But it doesn't mean that I don't support her decision or others decisions to come out and be themselves. Part of my own journey into adult life has been the continuous struggle about what I want to do and who I want to be. And reading this story about just how terrible some human beings can be to one another makes me seriously think about going into some kind of advocacy field. I couldn't imagine being so hateful towards other people, and I would really (I think) enjoy being able to be a voice and an aid for people who find themselves without help. I'm only a matter of months into my big-girl job, but not believing in the cause you work for can make the work day long and boring. But doing something that you feel matters seems like it can be the most rewarding kind of job...

Just some food for thought.

Go Nikki!

No comments:

Post a Comment