Saturday, May 21, 2011

Graduation Day

So today one year ago I was waking up and getting ready for my own graduation. It seems like so long ago and like yesterday all at the same time. Life is a gift, but I feel like this past year has been a throw-away year. I graduated from college a year early. So I shouldn't have graduated until today. I feel like this gives me another chance to start my real life. I know that sounds terrible. But I don't feel like I've been able to get as far as I had hoped to get. How far are we expected to get in just one year? Because I feel like I have been just stuck in a rut, not moving forward, merely stuck and wiggling around, pretending to move forward.
I feel as if I should have some great philosophical comment about life and living it to it's fullest. But then I would be a hypocrite in most regards. I haven't. I have been lazy and scared to move. I'm sick of feeling as if I should just be handed the world. No work required. I read an article in Cosmo about how my generation expects so much because we have been handed certain things our whole life. Opportunity can be a curse. As I was reading it, I knew that that wasn't me. I never felt entitled or above doing hard work. Until I got my degree. Now I am the stereotypical entitled girl. I have been resting on my degree, not putting it, or myself to work.
So I guess my big piece of philosophical advice to the graduating class, is, have a fantastic day and a wonderfully relaxing summer, but don't get caught up in the R&R and forget what you want to accomplish. Or you may wake up one day, a year after your graduation, and wonder when the job you had since you were in high school became your career, or become repulsed by your own acceptance of the little room in your parents house as "your pad". Change is scary, but being stuck in the past is much more terrifying.

No comments:

Post a Comment