Sunday, May 15, 2011

So I created this account to talk about my life and how I view the world. And then I disappeared. I have been hiding from my computer. Turning away when I saw it. Ignoring my emails and my intense Facebook updates. Opening it only to update my iPod then quickly closing it before I got too attached. In college I could not have been away from my computer for an hour without getting some kind of withdrawal symptoms, sweaty palms, jitters, all that fun stuff. But I have discovered that hiding from my beautiful, though slightly off-white, macbook was synonymous with me hiding from myself. I have been detaching myself from the world, from the NY Times, from my Facebook (which has both a healthy community of my family and friends and crazy people who I don't remember ever meeting.) I have just been hiding behind my work, or my new gym membership, or my TV. I haven't been living my life, and obviously I have not been reporting about my life either :P
As much as I think that technology can distract us from our life, I also believe that it has also done a phenomenal job of connecting us. Bringing information and friends together over common ideas and grounds. My running from it was be running from my family and friends, running from my writing.

I hate to admit it, but some days I feel like Liz Gilbert from Eat, Pray, Love. (Not just because my name too is Elizabeth. *Any internet stalkers out there I hope you are now taking note of my personal information lol*) But because I feel like I am gliding through life, not living, or learning, just breathing and sleeping through it. I just don't know how to best connect to myself and others. I am so sick of hiding and running. I need to accept how my life is and what changes I need to make to enjoy it more. Any suggestions, other than running all over the world of course :P ??

No comments:

Post a Comment