Thursday, December 5, 2013

The Post Mortem

Happy Thirsty Thursday!!

I'm thrilled to announce that as of 6:00 pm EST, I am DONE with being a GTA and my first semester of graduate school. (Okay, I still have 3 final papers to do, but still, no more classes for this Chicky!!) So as I sit here waiting for a student to arrive for a quick review of their paper, I'm thinking about the semester overall. And holy crap I can't believe I survived. I couldn't have done it without Sean, Netflix, or that really spontaneous trip to Boston. That I can tell you FO SHO!
But what I have done is survived the past 6 months without a certain someone. Wow, it's almost been 6 months. That realization just hit me as I thought about how hard this semester has been because Diane wasn't constantly available to me via the telephone. We used to talk a lot, and for long (looong) spans of time. So with all of my awesome mourning, and just general hormonal imbalances, it really isn't my ability to make it to the end of the semester, but Sean's. And I think that is a tremendous sign. Especially because we don't hate each other, and are actually having a "date day" tomorrow where we listen to Christmas music/watch Christmas movies and put together and decorate our first Christmas tree.
That has been the best thing about this whole 2013, Sean. I met him 10 days before Diane's surgery, 2 months before I was accepted to grad school, but exactly when I needed it. We may not have kissed at midnight on January 1st, or even spoken/text each other that night, but he has absolutely been instrumental in me making it to this point and not being a total quitter, who likes to sit in the corner in the fetal position. How lucky am I??

So, now that I have been successfully stood up, I'm off to write some papers and celebrate the accomplishment that is my first semester of graduate school :) (And I realize this post is definitely not about school at all… oh well!)


1 comment: