Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Happy Birthday Daddy!!

On October 16th my dad had a birthday, and my gift for him was to make him a cake. I got a carrot cake recipe that was phenomenal from one of my coworkers, and went to town the day before his birthday.

While a cake from scratch was definitely a new experience, I think I did a good job, minus my baking powder/soda issue, which I quickly corrected... :) And let me just say, shredding 3 cups worth of carrots, by using baby carrots, is a pain in the behind, and if you miss, a pain in the fingers as well. But I wouldn't know anything about it. (no blood no foul).

So then I made the cream cheese frosting, during which I broke my mom's pastry cutter, after having tremendous issues with our hand-held mixer... Yeah, it was a rough day. But I managed to make a great cake, and even got to do some fun decorating. Thought the frosting was a lot thinner than I'm used to, so my lines weren't as clean as I'd hoped they's be. But no matter what, I'm glad that I was able to make the cake and enjoy my dad's birthday, even though he didn't really want anything. I'm such a good daughter, who listens really, really well :D

Here are some fun photos of the evening, including my dad being forced by my mom to pretend to blow out his candles so she could get a photo.



I was so proud of my cute little pumpkins! And my vines. That frosting is such a pain to work with, especially when your hands are melting the cream cheese!





And a bonus photo is proof that my brother "helped clean up":



So there it is, one post, two things DONE on my 101 list!! And a great 52nd birthday for someone special. Win/Win/Win!!

No comments:

Post a Comment