Sunday, February 5, 2012

Where Was Myra??

So as you read my blog, I'm hoping that you will learn something new and exciting about me with each and every post. Tonight's post is about my preferences in the wonderful game of American Football. Of which my team has undoubtedly let me down. For those of you who understand the reference in my title, Kudos, to those of you who don't, I'll spell it out for you. I'm a Patriots fan. And while I didn't cry tonight (like I did in 2003 when the Sox lost the ALCS game to the Yanks), I was definitely not a happy camper. I have been reading a LOT over these past two weeks about the match up and the rivalry and that terrible 2007 Superbowl where my perfect pats got their asses kicked by yet another NY team. I was waiting for redemption, waiting to party like it's 1999 (or better yet, like it was 2001, 2003, or 2004). What I got was a good-for-nothing Brady and a defense that actually tried to hold there shit together with a decent amount of success but was unsupported by the offense. And the worst part, we lost this game because of ourselves. The Giants really weren't doing anything spectacular, they were just forcing us to question our abilities, and God knows that opening, one-play drive, that resulted in a safety and the first 2 damn points of the game definitely didn't do much for our self-esteem. But we couldn't put it behind us. We couldn't keep the ghosts of 2007 from hanging over Lucas Oil Stadium, and we couldn't seem to find the light from Mrs. Myra Kraft from helping guide us to the end zone. While all the blogs, articles, and television reports I absorbed over the past two weeks were very divided, most favoring the Giants, while my local reporters and writers exclaiming to the world that we are the best, we are the champions. It sucks that the 99% was right. We weren't. Brady didn't show up. One Brady quote sums up both the Division Title Game and the Superbowl, "I sucked pretty bad today..." ...Well, yeah, you did then, and you let us down now too. Thanks. Maybe your wife should stop asking for prayers and start letting you do you goddamn job. Forget Ugg, and all the other insanity that isn't football, and PLAY FOOTBALL. You know, that JOB that you're paid for.
I sound so grumpy. Maybe it's because I'm tired and I know I'm going to have to get up soon to go to work, maybe it's because I thought we were going to step up and shut everyone down, humiliate them for their disbelief. Maybe it's just because I know we are better than this.
I know most of you out there are sitting there (if you have even gotten this far) and are bitching that the last time your team WENT to the Superbowl, or Stanley Cup Finals, or World Series was a LOOONG time ago and I should just continue to admire the fun Lord Stanley Cup being held by my Bruin Boys. But with the September collapse to top all September collapses and now this humiliating 21-17 loss, I'm starting to feel as though we've lost our super-powers. We are but mere mortals. It kind of sucks. New England has some of the biggest sports franchises, most expensive franchises, and those boys put-out (in the best possible way of course). But this whole losing thing is foreign to my generation. My grandfather was born and died without ever seeing a Red Sox World Series win (Born:1919 Died: 1998). I've seen all four major sport teams win. All of them. But this dive back towards Earth hurts knowing what greatness we are capable of and watching it fall away as we throw more and more money towards these descending creatures who refuse to admit wrong-doing, but are turning into spoiled brats. Both players and fans. Maybe a drought is what New England needs. Bring us to our knees, so that in our fight to rise again we can appreciate the triumphs and the defeats and know that we actually played our hearts out. Not that we couldn't beat ourselves in the mind-field.
I guess all that's left is to pray the Bruins can repeat, or that we can start to re-evaluate how to build a championship.

No comments:

Post a Comment