Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Inspiration and Comparing Myself to Others

Happy Tuesday!!

So this week is moving right along, I've had a couple of speed bumps, but overall I'm just chugging along. I can't wait for this weekend, not because I have any grand plans, but because I don't have any grand plans. I know that I need to stop working for the weekend, so I'm trying to work on that. It's just difficult when every weekend is a 3 day weekend... at least for this semester!

So I didn't get my normal time to ponder life in the quad before my GTA class, so in a few quick moments here before class begins I went looking for more inspiration on Pinterest. I came across a couple of gems:


02569.html.jpg

These two pins are definitely my favorite so far today. They embody exactly how I feel and who I am. Not many people know about my Rheumatoid Arthritis and even fewer know about how depressed I've been the past few years. But each day I am getting up and I am working towards a better Elizabeth. Some days it's easy and some days I don't even want to get out of bed. But I'm learning with a good helping of trial and error. And I'm finding that the more I accept myself and the things that make me happy, the more inspired I become.

I have lived a long life of self degradation and comparing myself with others, and that was long before Facebook helped me out with that... So to be able to get up and fight against all that I've lived these past 24 years, I'm over the moon. I realized the other day that I don't have my life exactly in order, but I'm choosing to live everyday. Even if that choice is to have a glass of wine and watch The Blind Side after a really, really long literary criticism class. That is how I take care of myself, by accepting my limitations and knowing that after some rest, I will be able to move forward past these limitations. Understanding and embracing that I love inspiration and helping others has been great these past few days. That's right, it's taken me years to really find a spark. I always knew I wanted to write/blog and it wasn't until I had my own clear(isn) vision that I have carved out the time to write each day. (This many blog posts in a row is something brand spanking new! And I'm loving it.)

It was just the other day that I realized how my undergraduate degree was not a time of exploration and development, but just a continuation of my high school days with shitty self-esteem and doing what everyone else wanted/expected of me. Being able to accept that, but to also know that I can move beyond it is tremendously freeing. I'm ready to take on the world and my life. Last night, just before my brain turned to mush in lit crit, I was writing about how I wanted to take control of my life. But really, who do I think I need to "take" it from? It's already belongs to me, doesn't it? So I need to embrace the life I'd like to lead. Part of that stems from watching the healthy choices my classmates are making and wanting to make positive changes in my eating and exercising habits. I want to completely embrace and accept my body, I want to treat it with far more love and respect. So this morning I did something a little different with my hair and put on some makeup, and while it hasn't made a tremendous difference, I definitely feel more pride in myself. I may not have started the day with some kind of gluten-free, "clean" breakfast, but I took care of myself and feel much more confident because of it. My Tuesday is shaping up to be pretty amazing :) Hope you find your inspiration for change, without expecting perfection!

~E

No comments:

Post a Comment